The South Florida Science Center & Aquarium
4801 Dreher Trail North
West Palm Beach
Cute, little museum perfect for a rainy day activity. The museum features 5 main exhibits:
1. Grossology exhibit which showcases the human body functions including the digestive system, nasal cavity and gastrointestinal system. All of it is hands on, including walking through the nasal cavity, climbing through the Lower intestines & simulations that emulate how we throw up & pass gas. (The kids loved this!) But all of it was educational.
2. Aquarium featuring nurse sharks, turtles, eels & many more. Also a table for kids to touch & feel sharks’ teeth, jaws & fossils. (My son has a serious obsession with sharks teeth so this pleased him immensely).
3. Florida Everglades exhibit: could be expanded more but it was good for the space they had.
4. Planetarium: This was extra ($5 adult, $3 children) but a nice break from the loud fun.
5. Brain teaser puzzles: very nice interactive & accessible for all ages of children.
Additional things to see: hands on science experiments are offered everyday; a water table for toddlers; a light bright wall; tornado & hurricane simulators; a small fossil dig & a small NASA exhibit.
We spent 3 hours at this place & it’s definitely not at MOSI’s level but it’s way better than Explorations.
Pros: All age appropriate exhibits at kids’ height level too; good from 18 months to 10 years old; sofas are strategically placed throughout for parents; also has a small cafe & outdoor picnic area for lunch.
Cons: Some of the exhibits could be expanded more, but that’s it.
Insider Tip: On the first weekend of each month, Bank of America cardholders get FREE admission. We went on July 3, a Sunday, and we both have BoA credit cards- I didn’t think they would let both of us in, but they did! So we only paid $11 per child!!